1. Discuss with your partner your closet needs. Before you even begin to set up the closet, or to reorganize it, it is imperative that you know what your partner needs. You might be one who thinks you can figure it out for yourself. Do not be fooled. Your partner will eventually want to have some say about how he or she wants things put away.
2. Organize the closet together. You may say to your partner, "You do it; I don't care how it's done." You are putting a tremendous burden on him or her to do it in a way you can accept. Although you may say you do not care, chances are when you cannot find your best boots, you will wish you had had a say. Be willing to give your input and accept that of your partner's.
3. Make sure there is room for both people's things. Often one person will crowd the other out because that person has a large supply of clothing and accessories. Just because your partner has fewer things, it does not follow that they should not have the room required for those items. Be fair, and make sure there is room for expansion for both of you.
4. Label storage devices. It may be obvious that a shoes tree is for footwear, but for whose footwear? Make that clear by putting a label on the shoe tree. Likewise, label shelves, baskets, and hooks. You should not have to label the bars, unless you have such a large closet that it gets confusing.
5. Keep each person's items separate as much as possible. It is easier to find your clothes when you are not looking through shelves or racks of another person's clothes. You may have to put all the long hanging clothes together, but even then, you can put one person's on the left and the other person's on the right.
6. Make storage equipment easy for each person to use. This gets down to the individual needs of each person. If one of the partners if very short, it is not fair to put their clothes on high shelves when there is another solution. When one person has back problems it helps to use the double bar that is easier for them to reach, such as a high bar for a tall person.
7. Reorganize once a month. Make it a chore you do together. You can find any problems with your system while you catch any misplaced articles. If you keep the closet in order, you will not have to do a major organization as often.
Tag : closet,closet organizers,closet design